Wakefield Chapel

Click the image to launch gallery view

Dublin Core


Wakefield Chapel


In 1899, Oliver Besley donated land for a nondenominational chapel. The Wakefield Chapel was named for its first preacher. Reverend Wakefield had gone west during the Gold Rush, fought against the Indians, and survived near-burial in a common grave after a battle wound during the Civil War.

Several small congregations have met in the chapel, which holds 100 people. After lightning struck the steeple in 1970, the chapel fell into disuse until the building became the property of the Fairfax County Park Authority. It is now a favorite site for weddings.


Photo by Gilbert Donahue


Copyrighted material, not to be reproduced without permission of owner, Gilbert Donahue