Oak Hill: Exterior View

Click the image to launch gallery view

Dublin Core


Oak Hill: Exterior View


Oak Hill mansion, built in 1790, is the only remaining home of the three manor houses of the Fitzhugh dynasty built on the Ravensworth plantation. Richard Fitzhugh, great grandson of the original Ravensworth owner, built Oak Hill in the late Georgian style.

The originial house was two stories with a center hall and four rooms - two upstairs and two down. It was remodeled in the Colonial Revival Style in the 1930s. A succession of owners expanded the house upward and outward, adding a third story and additional rooms on all floors.

The photo is of the house as it appeared in March 2006. It was taken from a position near the historic boxwood-lined walkway that has greeted visitors since 1790.


Photo by Gil Donahue


Copyrighted material, not to be reproduced without permission of owner, Gilbert Donahue