Burke Elementary School, 1917

Click the image to launch gallery view

Dublin Core


Burke Elementary School, 1917


Burke Elementary opened in 1912 as a two-room schoolhouse, and later was expanded to three rooms. This photograph of the building was taken in 1917. By the 1930s, population growth required a larger school, and a second Burke Elementary was constructed through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) under the New Deal. The building was later converted to a private residence named Whiteoaks.


Courtesy Tom Giska, History of Burke Slide Collection