Brimstone Hill dates to circa 1820. In 1839, Charles Arundel purchased the twelve-acre property and acquired a license to operate a tavern. In 1848, the tavern became a polling place for elections. In 1850, Arundel enlarged the building to include an inn and a store, which thrived until the latter part of the nineteenth century. During the Civil War, Confederate raider, John Arundel, was killed on his family property and buried there. The building stands at Burke Lake Road and Route 123 in Fairfax Station, Virginia.
Photo by Gil Donahue
Copyrighted material, not to be reproduced without permission of owner, Gilbert Donahue