Burke Elementary School Dedication Program

Click the image to launch gallery view

Dublin Core


Burke Elementary School Dedication Program


The second Burke Elementary School, located at the corner of Lee Chapel and Burke Lake Roads, opened in 1939 and was dedicated in 1940. It replaced the original 1912 school building, now a private residence in Burke named Whiteoaks. Land for the new school was donated by the grandfather of Suzanne Fowler Neale. Students went home for lunch until 1952, when a school cafeteria was built. Today (2007), the facility houses a special education center and is named Burke School.


Courtesy Jennifer Cornelson Addington